Monday, July 18, 2011

Yes, Miles is coming, too

We opted not to make that big a deal of this, but since I've been asked countless times in recent weeks -- and four times today -- what my spouse, Miles, will be doing when I head to Ann Arbor for my Knight-Wallace Fellowship, it is a relief to now be able to say that he'll be coming, too. He disclosed on this week's show that he had given his notice he'll leave his job at KSNV, the NBC affiliate in Las Vegas, where he's been responsible for overseeing the news operations since 2007.

It wasn't an easy decision, of course, but the fellowship provides spouses with the same opportunities that the fellows receive. Miles also gets to take whatever classes he wants at UM, is covered on my health insurance, gets to participate in all fellowship seminars and gets to come along for a pretty small fee on our big trips to South America and Turkey. We've got enough savings and other income from investments, work I'm finishing now as well as my fellowship stipend that Miles won't have to work at least for the first half of the adventure.

This is a unique opportunity for him as a fellow journalist and for us as a couple. Neither of us has any idea what we or one another are like without the constant, intense pressures of work. Particularly in recent years, he's been on call almost all the time and putting in 10-to-12-hour days routinely. And even when we go on vacation, I'm off finding stories about cat-fur clothing, reindeer au poivre and Haitian earthquake victims.

So, yeah, this fellowship is causing all sorts of ripples and dramatic changes in the Vegas media universe. And that's as it should be. I've been asked many times who will replace my voice as media critic, Vegas observer and credible provocateur, and I've no doubt someone will. Of course I think KSNV will suffer for Miles' departure, but the news will air without missing a beat and others will fill his shoes in their own ways. That's how these things always go.

Meanwhile, we get to do something most couples dream of: Stop. Look around. Learn. Observe. Relate. Relax. Brainstorm. Plan. How could that pass it up?

7 comments:

LinFromNJ said...

that's fantastic. Good luck to both of you. will you be returning to Vegas when the fellowship ends?

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news Steve! I'm so pleased for you both. What a fantastic opportunity.

Matthew Stanford

Josh said...

That is good news, the only question is why it took so long to reach the seemingly obvious solution. No need to answer that. I will of course miss my favorite Vegas Provocateur,Vegas just won't be the same.

robertw477 said...

Vegas will not be the same. I am going for a convention to LV in 2 weeks. I am going to make a prediction that after the fellowship Steve and Miles will be going somewhere other than Vegas. Time will tell but I think you both will find work in another city. Just my prediction...

Rob

detroit1051 said...

I agree with robertw477. Steve and Miles will consider new personal and professional growth opportunities during their time in Ann Arbor. Then, they will move on to new challenges, and I don't believe they will stay in the midwest or return to Vegas.

AccessVegas.com said...

Hell of an opportunity, too good to pass up, and a very envious situation for two partners who are in the news biz.

The shows have been amazing for Las Vegas. Historical records that will be referenced for decades to come and that otherwise never existed in the long-form of the podcast interviews.

While we'd all like to see them return, Las Vegas is very much a mid-sized market and in the journalism game, one has to move on to move up. With his interview skills, I'd love to see Steve taking on major politicians in Washington, DC (and I'll bet Miles could find an NBC job there as well).

Whatever ends up happening, three cheers for lots of great years here in Las Vegas!

Goldie007 said...

Enjoyed the show and will miss you both. Good luck to you both!