Saturday, March 1, 2008

Bette Media Night, Part I

Miles had to work tonight, so I took Amy as my date tonight to the official media night for Bette Midler's "The Showgirl Must Go On" at Caesars Palace. There were some important changed made to the show since the preview performance I saw and wrote about in USA Today last week.

Amongst those:

* The donkey she rode in on is gone, replaced by a massive Louis Vuitton luggage pile set piece from which she appears behind. It's cute, but the donkey had a certain "whoa" element to it.

* A sequence where she goes all Kathy Griffin and posts a succession of images of young female celebs in all sorts of scandal-sheet trouble is gone. So, sadly, is a variety of video clips that included a recent "Project Runway" clip of Michael Kors and a classic video of Elton John, Cher and Bette all performing together.

* They removed all of that to make time to add in a video explanation of who/what Doris Delago, Bette's classic mermaid character, is. That seems wise.

After the show, we headed over to Rao's for a press reception and "mix and mingle" session with Miss M herself. That's where Amy got her photo snapped with Bette...


...and Toni Basil, the "Mickey" singer and choreographer who is in her 60s, believe it or not.


I abstained from taking my photo with anyone but my date.

3 comments:

Bay in TN said...

Are those famous Rao's meatballs on those little dishes? That's the only part I don't envy y'all.

And I kinda hate Amy.... Kinda. Sorta. A little bit!

Amy said...

I can't blame anyone for hating me for this. I actually hate myself a little bit for this. I didn't deserve such a spectacular night, and I did my best to make it possible for Miles to go. I even offered to take over as Executive Producer, but my offer was refused.

It was a fabulous night. Miles couldn't have had a better time than me, but I know he would have looked better in the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Wow! you're so lucky. Lin From NJ. sorry if this appears more than once. I had trouble leaving the remark.