Friday, August 1, 2008

A sign of things to come...


On the live version of "The Strip" this week, Miles and I were chattering about the wrap at Flamingo. We cut that bit out of the edited podcast because neither of us had a clue what was going on down there and someone in the chat said the Toni Braxton hoo-hoo wrap had been replaced by Nathan Burton. There was some other reason that we cut it out, but I can't remember it right now.

Well, as you can see above, Donny and Marie are, in fact, being unfurled across the face of the building. Burton has a wrap on a smaller building a bit farther north obstructed in this image by a utility pole. I shot this photo this afternoon.

Speaking of D&M, I got an email earlier this week from an uber-queer friend who had seen them at the MGM Grand this week and who reported, uh, exuberantly: "THEY CRUSHED IT! I felt like a teenage girl all over again...they were so good!!! And Marie still looks great!!!"

My friend wanted to know why I'm so down on them coming back to the Strip, so I wanted to clarify that. I'm not down on this. What I am is confused by how this fits into the Flamingo Las Vegas' plans under ex-Hard Rock president Don Marrandino to sex-up and modernize the resort and its clientele. Everything else they had done, from the Go Rooms to Toni Braxton to Margaritaville to kicking out Gladys Knight seemed on track to make this place the mid-Strip, mid-market 40-and-under place to stay.

Donny & Marie just don't fit into that program. It doesn't mean I don't think they'll do a good show or draw people in. I just don't get the big idea here. It would seem they would fit the demo of Harrah's Las Vegas better. That's all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe there's a new wave of Mormons needing to be entertained Vegas style?

Troy in Las Vegas said...

Oh my god. I have seen the posters on the walls of Flamingo. I hope they are not what is going to be on the side of the building. Her teeth are gonna be HUGE!

Anonymous said...

I think everyone has "a litle bit country and a little bit of rock and roll" in them...and with the current state of things in the U.S., I believe people who were around between 1976-79 will find this show a great escape and fun throwback to yesteryear. Ultimately the show leaves you hoping that "May tomorrow be a perfect day."