Monday, December 1, 2008

Vegas Kids Do Good!

...or is it "Vegas Kids Do Well!"? Ahh, well, thank goodness nobody pays me to know the language. Oh wait...

Regardless, I have a piece in today's New York Times about a group of students at the exclusive private Meadows School who have drummed up $25,000 to invest in microfinance loans to poor people in third-world countries. It's a story my Petcast co-host Emily Richmond broke in the Las Vegas Sun in October, and I found the novelty of it -- not just the idea of kids doing something good and charitable but also that it appears to be a first-of-its-kind effort -- worth a broader audience.

What was also fun was visiting the Meadows School. I had only heard of this mythical place with the English translation of our city's name, where Mayor Oscar Goodman's wife, Carolyn, had built a powerhouse educational center that produces Ivy Leaguers and perfect SAT scores. Carolyn, by the by, is rumored to be considering a run for mayor when her gin-swilling hubby is term-limited out in 2011.

Anyhow, while I was there, I had to shoot some photos. Here's the entry sign...


...and the central campus vista...


Of course, with any private school of this type, it relies on both the $20K-a-year in tuition as well as the good will and vanity of generous parents. See if you recognize any of these surnames...





Virtually every tree, every bench, every building and even every garbage can was marked for its donation or dedication. But this one was my favorite...


We now know him, of course, as the newly crowned CEO of MGM Mirage.

0 comments: