Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today's Greatest Front Page

This is why I love British journalism...


Any of my British readers out there willing to grab me one of these and mail it here? Email me privately! And if y'all want to browse today's front pages from around the world, there are 48 of them found here. More than 700 front pages can also be found on the Newseum's website here, but I suspect the images there change every day.

When you look at so many at once, you come to feel sorry for Chief Justice John Roberts and the prominence of his bald spot. But I also wondered what the Indians were thinking about a nation of "non-believers" and why our religious diversity would be considered the most important excerpt of Obama's address:


Also, I can't read this, but I did wonder what the news was that was so big that this Indonesian paper was the only one of the 48 on the Guardian's website not to have the inauguration as its lead story:

Hey, at least Barry made it. It doesn't appear this Iranian paper wanted to publicize the president who said that he'd shake their hands if they unclenched their fists. This was the only paper I could find anywhere in the world without at least a photo of the inauguration or Obama himself:

I thought these two were kinda clever, the first from a newspaper in Lake Charles, La., and the other from the Chicago Tribune's hipster tabloid edition, Red Eye.


This being a Vegas blog, here's the dead-tree look of the R-J and Sun today, both quite tastefully done:


As for me, The New York Times didn't use any of the feed I provided from Vegas yesterday -- don't worry, I still get paid -- but I did learn something from my frustrating mid-afternoon hunt on Election Day-After and got up early to find myself a keepsake copy of today's edition. After coming up short at two Starbuckses, I went to my old fail-safe, the Monte Carlo.

Why there? Because they've got a very convenient 15-minute parking area by the front entrance and a newsstand in the lobby. I thought I was out of luck when all I saw were yesterday's editions, but that's because the delivery guy doesn't come until 7:30 a.m. He was walking in right when I was about to go find some breakfast, so I got one. Yes, only one. I promised myself if I found some copies, I wouldn't hoard them like the folks who kept me from my historic paper on Nov. 5.

One other interesting note. Notice anything missing from the NYT front page?

The Times, which recently started putting banner ads on the bottom of its front page, had none today. Surely someone would have paid plenty for that valuable real estate on a surefire best-seller morning. So clearly an editorial decision that this was a special occasion -- and that people might be framing this one -- trumped a business decision. Hooray. Makes me proud to write for them.

0 comments: