Saturday, September 5, 2009

Buh-bye, Earl Turner?

Journalist Esther Lynn, who gossips about Vegas online as Claire Voyant, reported yesterday that "Earl Turner is no longer part of the [Las Vegas] Hilton's Shimmer Cabaret show." He's been co-headliner with Lani Misalucha.

The show's dark until Friday but Earl won't be there anymore when it resumes, Lynn writes. The rest of the juicy post:

"Depending which story you choose to believe, either Mr. Turner refused to take a requested pay cut as business is a bit slow right now, or Earl, of the inflated ego, went off to do a cruise ship gig, saying something like "I don't know how long Voices will run and I need to keep my other options open." Perhaps by NEXT Friday we will have the accurate information. What we have been told is that, for the immediate future, the show will reopen on the 11th with Ms. Misalucha at the helm. There will have to be lots of changes in advertising. If you have a pair of sharp scissors, you may want to join the team to help cut Earl's face out of all the photos and ads, and lop that "S" off the word Voices."

I just tried to confirm this report but it's Saturday and nobody from Hilton PR's team is around. A box office reservationist told me when I pressed her about whether Turner would be in the show upon its return, "As of now, Earl Turner is still officially in the show, but there is no guarantee that that will be always be the case."

I was intrigued by Lynn's "of the inflated ego" snark. I hadn't really been all that aware of Turner until he and his folks turned out to be the only people involved with "Las Vegas Celebrates The Music of Michael Jackson" to make significant comp demands or refuse to promote the event in the press.

Something tells me that if Turner really does depart for wetter climes, an interview with the lovely Ms. Misalucha -- an arranged entertainment marriage if there ever was one -- could be very illuminating.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you can get Lani for Tuesdays show, Steve. I would love to know what Mr. Turner's problem is. Big egos and bad economies are a toxic mix. Maybe you can get Ira Sternberg to help/comment, although I fear he is too loyal to give the full dish on the Hilton entertainment mix. I think he may have done one of the best jobs in Las Vegas the last couple years putting together the entertainment at the Hilton as the budget dried up in front of his eyes.
Jeff in OKC

Troy in Las Vegas said...

Those two are aweful.
Good riddance.

Anonymous said...

Earl is an amazing entertainer and people shouldn't pass judgement if they don't know the WHOLE story. I hope he doesn't leave the show because it was very good, but I will continue to support him no matter what happens.

Anonymous said...

Who is Earl Turner nevr heard of him

EDL

PaulieVegas said...

Oh no, that sucks. That show was great, they worked well together and as individuals. I actually thought he was more entertaining that she was. And we met them outside afterwards and they were so nice and accomodating, and then you read about what he did at the benefit and you're like, that sucks. Anyway, yes it looks like Turner is officially gone, all the promotional stuff shows only Lani now and the show's Facebook page, which used to be administered by Earl's wife, has apparently been taken down. Oh well, I saw the show and I liked it, am sorry I'll never see it again.

Dolly Rinehart said...

I just came back from a 7 day cruise in the Western Caribbean on the Royal
Caribbean "Freedom of the Seas"...
Earl turner was one of the headliners for one of their fabulous evenning shows. I had not heard of this Entertainer either until this cruise. Let me tell you... Earl turner was awesome! I wished he had been on just more than one night...We will never forget him! He is just full of talent! He's great at everything he does on stage...singing ,dancing and he keeps you laughing until your sides hurt! With his talent soon everyone will know this Entertainer! I'm glad we had the experience to see him in person and I'm looking forward to seeing
him in our area (Orlando, Florida)someday soon..For now, I'll keep my eyes glued looking at his schedule. Good Luck Earl...we love ya!

Anonymous said...

Earl Turner is a wonderful entertainer, and people should respect his decision to enjoy the cruise ships and other option he well deserves. I have much respect for his business decisions as he is the only one whom can make decisions to best suit himself. I am suprised people have been so judgemental about his departure, Earl has a list of options and does not need to be tied to any show for any amount of money. I am also suprised to see Claires article, why mention a big ego Claire? I have spoken many times to you about the local entertainers, suprised you did not call me. Earl does not deserve what you said he is a very respectful Las Vegas entertainer.

Anonymous said...

Las Vegas loves Earl Turner!!!! We can't wait to see you again! Please keep your gigs posted on your internet site.

Anonymous said...

I am curious why did the article mention Earl Turner and his ego? what ego? Do you know him? He is a wonderful entertainer whom does a lot for the community. Earl adds tremendous entertainment to Vegas, and should get paid big money for his talent. Would propably not want to see the person who thinks he has a ego on stage....

Anonymous said...

I've known Earl since the 1980's. I watched his kids grow up. Used to plan my birthday celebration trips from Texas to where he was playing in Vegas. Earl has no equal. Through all the years, Earl has been nothing but kind and gracious to me. I appreciate the many great memories he's given me and wish him all life's blessings.

Debi said...

I just saw Earl on The Oasis of the Seas and absolutely loved him! He is talented, entertaining, colorful, energetic and knows how to get the audience rockin' and rollin'. When he did the piece on rapper 50 Cent, I thought I was going to pee my pants. VERY FUNNY STUFF! Vegas has no huge pull for me, but if he were playing, I'd make the trip, as I would love to share his show with more friends. Whatever you do, good luck Earl!