Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hizzoner Sends His Chips To Vegas Airmen!


I've got to get to sleep so more on the Lackland experience will have to wait and, if you care enough you can follow my Tweets as stuff occurs to me throughout the weekend, but I couldn't resist the inevitable Vegas element. My Little Brother's mother works in the clerk's office at Las Vegas City Hall, and earlier this month she told Mayor Oscar Goodman that she was off to his boot camp graduation in Lackland. The Mayor wrote Jamie a postcard wishing him luck that he got a few days ago and also sent Jamie's mom to Texas with mayoral poker chips for each graduate! That's Jamie in the middle above and also here...


And here's a close-up of the chip...


It was somewhat less valuable than the other item of similar shape the boys received, their precious Airman coins...


...but the gesture was appreciated nonetheless. (Note: I don't believe that Goodman is aware that Jamie and I are related, so this had nothing to do with me so far as I know.)

Anyhow, it was an eventful and very wet day. We saw Jamie in the Airman's Run, then graduate in a reconstituted ceremony postponed and moved by torrential rains. Then we had the afternoon together. And there will be photos of all that to come with commentary and plenty of humor.

For now, though, I'll end the way my day began, at the motel lobby for free breakfast. They had a make-your-own-waffle thing, so I did it and only when I pulled it from the griddle did I realize that it was shaped like...


Texas! I wonder if they do this at the Vegas LaQuintas. They could make them shaped like a dollar sign or an ace of hearts or something.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're a good egg, friesster.

Anonymous said...

Very good stuff. Thank you Steve.

Jeff in OKC

Anonymous said...

you have the best mayor ever.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Steve. That coin he's holding looks like a challenge coin to me. The concept is, if somebody issues a challenge, whomever doesn't have his coin has to buy the next round! (Motto: Always carry your challenge coin.)

Good luck and God bless to your little brother. Next time you see him, thank him for his service to the country.

Nana said...

What a great uplifting story. You and Jamie's mother certainly can be proud of your little brother! All my best wishes to all of you.
Love, Nana.