Friday, September 18, 2009

The show is UP: Cheap Trick

Here's this week's episode of "The Strip" featuring a conversation with Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick. It was fun for me to recall my own Rockford roots -- my first newspaper job -- and Amy and I had some excellent banter about the week's news. Click on the date below to listen or right-click to download and hear it at your leisure. Also, subscribe (it's free!) via iTunes or Zune. (does anyone listen via Zune? Email me!). -sf

Sept. 17: Cheap Trick Hopes You Will Enjoy The Show



In a city of knockoffs and impersonations, how do you go about reinterpreting a great piece of music without being tainted as a copycat? Well, it helps if you’re already a legendary rock band in your own right behind you, too. That’s how Cheap Trick’s doing it anyway, landing at the Las Vegas Hilton for nine performances of the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band before a full orchestra and assisted by such other pop stars as Joan Osbourne. Cheap Trick’s guitarist and vocalist Rick Nielsen joins us this hour to talk about the band’s relationship with the Beatles, about growing up in Rockford, Ill., and whether this swing of shows could portend a resident Vegas gig of some form soon.

In banter: Mindy Kaling gets Vegas whiners whining, Terry Fator puts puppets on cabs, Amy gets a Vegas welcome on her European cruise, Top Chef's been good to Hubert Keller and more.

Links to stuff discussed:

Get tickets to see Cheap Trick’s Sgt. Pepper Live at the Hilton
Cheap Trick’s website
Vegas Podcast-a-Palooza on Oct. 17 at the Palms
See the redesigned VegasHappensHere.Com
Amy’s revived (for how long?) podcast, Grits to Glitz
Amy’s trip report on her European cruise
Sparky of Las Vegas, our redesigner and hero
Watch the whole Mindy Kaling clip
VegasHappensHere.Com’s rant on the whiners re: Kaling
Luv-It Frozen Custard’s website
Join Steve’s Facebook group “Las Vegas Needs To Grow A Pair”
Fleur de Lys, owned by Hubert Keller
Steve’s TV Guide Magazine piece on CSI: The Experience

5 comments:

Not Amy's Mom said...

Isn't it incongruous to the point of comical absurdity to say you aren't going to post my comment because it's mean but then proceed to read my "mean" comment in its entirety on the podcast? I really don't get that at all.

Anyway, a comment critical of someone is not mean unless the intent was to hurt. If hurt feelings are just inevitable and unfortunate sequelae (as was the case here) of offering constructive criticism, it's not mean.

Using your definition of "mean" or "insulting," you are mean and insulting almost every day, however the negative things you say about all these Vegas characters are meant to inform or entertain us, not hurt them. Same with my comment. I registered my preference for co-host and gave my reasons why.

Why should you or your partner be exempted or protected from the kinds of critical remarks you direct at others? I don't get that either.

THE STRIP PODCAST said...

NAM: I see the contradiction, but I do feel like there's a difference between allowing an anonymous comment on the blog without any context and doing it orally where I can respond to it better. "Mean" might have been a poor choice of words, I agree, I may have been a little overly defensive on behalf of my spouse. I am certainly NOT exempted from criticism on this blog -- I allow plenty of dissenting views. But it is still my blog and I do get to insulate my partner here as he is more sensitive than I am and cherishes his privacy more than I do. That may be another reason this discourse belonged on the podcast but not the blog, because he's a part of the podcast and is not a part of the blog. But maybe I'm rationalizing because I love him and am protective.

Not Amy's Mom said...

You're a good man, Steve Friess.

Jeff in OKC said...

Excellent job of calming the issue, Steve. For some reason this exchang bothered me. Maybe because I like Miles' presence and can't wait for his return. For me, it will always be Las Vegas S&M, not S&?.

ajpimp702 said...

I saw Cheap Trick perform Sgt. Pepper Live at the Hollywood Bowl, and it was GREAT! Absolutely fascinating! Now there going to be performing in Las Vegas in June! I can't wait to see them again!