Wednesday, September 19, 2007

O.J. Craziness

I managed to get ahold of the gripping O.J. arrest report before almost everyone else and cranked a piece for the New York Times' website late last night. Trouble is, the Times had a weird problem with their Web site and replaced my story with another one by accident earlier today. So for the moment you can't read it. Weird.

Meanwhile, looks like I got punk'd. As you probably know, OJ got sprung on $125,000 bail. That, I hope, is the end of the matter for the moment. My piece on that is here.

And if you checked that fast enough, you'll notice that I sort of took the weird guy making freaky faces next to Simpson attorney Yale Galanter at the post-hearing presser semi-seriously. Turns out, I don't watch enough (any) Jimmy Kimmel. I wrote:

Outside the downtown Las Vegas courthouse, the carnival was in full force, with a man in a chicken costume holding up a sign that read “Not This Time O.J.” next to a man with one that read “O.J. O.J. He Was Set Up.” A man wearing a T-shirt with Mr. Simpson’s face on it and a hat that read “I love famous people” stood next to Mr. Galanter, Mr. Simpson’s lawyer, echoing many of Mr. Galanter’s statements and trying to get Mr. Galanter to give him a high-five in the middle of the news conference. At one point, his cellphone rang.

“I can’t talk now,” the man, Jake Byrd of Chino, Calif., whispered into the phone. “I’m at the O.J. trial.”

They're removing that from the print edition version that'll run tomorrow, at least. But since I so frequently mock other journalists when they seem boneheaded, I figured I'd show that I, too, can work too fast and not be careful enough from time to time. Oh well.

0 comments: