Friday, December 7, 2007

Here we go again...

For the second time this year, I'm on my way out of town in anticipation of a family death. My uncle, Richard Goldman, who has suffered from pancreatic cancer for about 18 months now, is now in the hospital and has declined all treatments outside of pain relief. Eighteen months means he already beat the odds on this savage disease; only 20 percent survive the first year. But the inevitable seems to be quite near.

As it happened, I was en route to New York on Saturday to surprise the family at our Hannukah party, which annually takes place at Uncle Richard and Aunt Susan's home in the Bronx. I was to return Monday, a very quick jaunt. Instead, it seems I'll be sticking around for longer than planned. The situation seems murky, but it doesn't make much sense to come home until it's over.

Right now, Miles and I still plan on a live show on Tuesday night, even if I have to phone it in and he has to handle the interview in the studio with "...A New Day" and "Le Reve" director Brian Burke. Not sure, however, how I'll get the unedited file to edit and post for the podcast. Keep watch on this space for updates.

3 comments:

Troy in Las Vegas said...

Warm and loving thoughts from Heather and me.

BrownElf said...

Steve. My thoughts are with you and your family during this time.
Walter

Anonymous said...

Steve~
In all honesty, I am not familiar at all with you... I just read about your uncle having pancreatic cancer, as I have google updates on the disease. I lost my brother & our niece both in 02, & volunteer with the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. I don't know if your family is aware of the organization, but they can check out website www.pancan.org or call 1-877-272-6226 for support.
I hope to increase awareness & help researchers find an early diagnostic test so families don't have to go through what we have faced dealing with this terrible disease.
Please find some comfort in the efforts of so many across the US, & let others know, if you will. I know how difficult this time can be, but at my brother's request, I will try to do all I can to help others. I'll add your family to those I keep in my prayers.