Tuesday, September 9, 2008

From the files of FINALLY


There's a groundbreaking tomorrow for a proper parking lot out by the 49-year-old "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign that has for years been a terrifying traffic and pedestrian hazard south of the Mandalay Bay on Las Vegas Boulevard.

This photo from the Rocky Mountain Roads website illustrates well the problem out there. People just park in traffic lanes, drive up onto the median, park at small businesses nearby and run across a busy road. I've often been amazed we don't hear about more traffic fatalities caused by the constant need to park or walk in a dangerous manner in order to get that iconic photo. I've even seen limos of bridal parties park on the turf laid out in front of the sign.

The $416,000 parking lot will feature 12 spots carved out of the southern portion of the median. There will be two handicapped spaces and some new landscaping, too. It's due to open in late November.

That seems like a lot of money, but I don't know much about these sorts of contracts. Fact is, it's currently a public safety hazard and something that someone should've thought of doing many years ago.

5 comments:

dwashington314@gmail.com said...

Every time I pass that sign I wonder how that's legal for people to be there in the middle of traffic and how no one ends up roadkill.

Glad the city/county is spending money on something useful. Hope it came from the Mob museum budget.

Now, how about a north south bus route west of Rainbow?

Just saying.

Anonymous said...

I was heading into work the other day and drove past the sign. I saw about 6 cop cars parked around and on the median with lights flashing. I thought "Oh my gosh, someone finally got hurt there and by all the red and blue lights flashing it was bad". When I approached the area, I discovered there was no trouble at all, just some of our cities finest posing for their glamour shots.

Anonymous said...

uh, does this mean that next week when i come, not only will i not be able to use my criss angel tickets but i also won't be able to get my picture at the sign? what the fuck!!! someone owes me my airfare!

Anonymous said...

uh, does this mean that next week when i come, not only will i not be able to use my criss angel tickets but i also won't be able to get my picture at the sign? what the fuck!!! someone owes me my airfare!

Anonymous said...

My guess is it'll take about $50K worth of labor and materials to actually build. The rest is for design reviews, engineering, traffic pattern analysis, permits, legal reviews, etc.