Friday, September 3, 2010

Love For Vegas' Horseshoers, Sous Chefs & Changepersons

Last month, I forgot all about jury duty, then tried to contact the courts to apologize and reschedule. Their phone system frustrated me, so I gave up and decided to wait and see. Then I got another summons, this time for Sept. 13.

Now it looks like that week will be tough for me, so I went online to change it and they OK'd a switch to Nov. 1. Great. The reminder photographed above -- and one tackily posted on the inside of our front door -- should prevent me from forgetting again.

But I was also fascinated by something else. There's a "qualification questionnaire" so I figured I'd fill it out. And the list of potential occupations in there is, well, exhaustive. I've never seen such a complete form. It's as if someone went bonkers trying to come up with every conceivable job.

Like, for instance...


...why does it matter if you're the "sous chef" versus, say, "cook," "chef," or "food service personnel"? Also, how many "senators" or "superintendents" or "presidents" or "congressmen" or "vice presidents" could there be, all of which are entries? Yet notice there's no entry for "politician."


Nice to see our Keno writers...


...and gamblers...


...and changepersons...


...and the all-important "horseshoers" represented.


Is "disabled" a profession, given that there's a choice of indicating unemployed? Are some people professionally disabled? And what's a "draftsman" or "eligibility clerk"? Also, why no respect for dogwalkers?


Way to be all gender-PC about "changepersons" but then they go retro about "airline hostesses." The Steve Slaters of the world aren't..., well, never mind.


And finally, two last things to ponder. Why does Penn Jillette's partner get his own listing...


...and what's an "H?" The only thing I can think of is "hooker."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw chaplain, but not clergy or priest. I guess I don't have to worry about jury duty in Nevada.

David in Nova Scotia

Anonymous said...

Not that I keep a datebook or even an appointment calendar on my computer, but I do buy a calendar every year that I can fill in birthdays and appointments. I can't believe you don't do that!

gregoryzephyr said...

My dad was a draftsman in the 60's early in his career as a hydro-electrical engineer. Basically before computer aided engineering, a draftsman took the rough designs from engineers and drew up the engineering drawings used as the final blueprints for anything from industrial equipment to architectural drawings. ( I think the job probably died out before they had to change the title to "draftsperson")