Monday, October 8, 2007

WHY DO THEY ADVERTISE THIS?

I've ranted about this before on the show, but that was before I had a blog, so now I can show you all what I mean. At McCarran Airport in Las Vegas, there's this lighted billboard showing a cow in a headdress, the headline you can see that reads "Agriculture in Nevada?" and the small print below the cow that reads: "Yep. It's our third largest industry." It's a message from the NV Dept of Agriculture and something called the Ag Council of Nevada.

Can someone -- anyone!!! -- explain to me the purpose of this billboard? What, do they think that tourists from Wisconsin are going to see it and say, "Y'know, maybe we'll just stay here and become farmers!"? That's the best I can do. Anyone?

I Googled Ag Council of Nevada. The first thing that pops up is the Ag Council of Northern Nevada, but when you click on it, it's a placeholder site. After that, the closest option is this one, Nevada Agriculture Education, which shills for a Nevada Agriculture license plate, shown here. I've never seen anyone driving around with one. And the best they could come up with for a subline is "People Grow Things Here." Wow.

0 comments: