Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The $2,000 Dog Chew

We had a bit of a calamity yesterday. The battery went out on my left hearing aid while I was driving in the car with our adorable dogs, Black and Jack. I had to run into the drugstore. I took the hearing aid out because, when it's not working it's just dead weight sticking into my head, and I left it in the cupholder while I ran in. You know where this is going. See the picture above and guess for yourself which one looks operable.

Miles seems to think this was predictable, but I have many times left my aids on tables and counters where the dogs might get at them. Never in my 30+ years of wearing hearing aids, have I ever had a dog that showed the slightest interest in eating something like this.

Each aid, by the by, retails for $2,o00. Insurance covers none of it. But, happily, these are insured. And I'll be getting a new one in two weeks. That's a long time, though. It means when I use the phone for reporting, I either must use my headset with just one hearing aid, guaranteeing a headache, or I must use my amplified handset against my ear, guaranteeing a neck ache. Yay for me, either way.

I was really grumpy towards the dogs last night, but we made up today. I mean, look at them. Could you stay mad at them forever? (It was Black, btw. We think. Look how innocent he tries to seem, huh?)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

see, and it looks like the brown dog is the devious one...