Thursday, May 21, 2009

LVW Col: My 10 Favorite Shows

Here's this week's "Strip Sense" column in the Las Vegas Weekly. Agree or disagree in the comments section or e-mail me your lists! -sf


Ten Shows You Absolutely Have To See...
...or send visitors to see

By STEVE FRIESS

"All right, very quickly, before we go, Steve Friess,” KNPR’s Dave Berns intoned in his dulcet voice, “one entertainment tip you have right now. Something you’ve seen recently on the Strip or off the Strip that you think people should go to?”

On that particular day last week, I blurted out Jersey Boys, because at the moment, I’m a little obsessed with the show. But that was a quick-fire answer to a question that seems simple and is, in fact, quite complex.

I get this question a lot. I get it from Facebook friends when they’re about to visit, you readers ask about once a week by e-mail, and it comes up often among colleagues over drinks at media events.

Well, the next time someone asks, I can just forward them the link to this here article. Granted, the list below will change; three shows that would’ve been on the list a year ago—The Red Piano, Mamma Mia! and Stomp Out Loud—are gone. If Peepshow jells well and Terry Fator forsakes the unnecessary political snark that was present when the show opened, both are serious candidates down the line.

Every selection here has one thing in common: If a friend called asking me to go with them to see any of these, I’d go, assuming (a) I wasn’t busy or (b) no new episode of Lost or Mad Men was on.

See the rest at LasVegasWeekly.Com

2 comments:

Judy Jenner said...

That's a good list. After 14 years in town and six reviewing shows for a living, I still dread the question about which shows I recommend. It's challenging, and folks need to give you some parameters. Magic? Topless? International superstar? Small? Avantgarde (we don't have that many)...I've sent people to KA who have hated it. I've chosen the covered show at Folies (RIP) only to discover that my friends in question were actually less conservative than I thought. I've learned you need to ask a lot of questions so you can tailor your suggestions -- and it's a lot of work.

I am still mourning the death of many, many great shows, including Avenue Q, The Producers, Hairspray, Fashionistas (edgy and cool), etc. At the moment, I am still loving Zumanity, KA, Ice: Direct from Russia (really: small stage, world-class skating, elegant and serene), Jersey Boys (more solid theater than strictly a musical), good productions at the Las Vegas Little Theater, and Super Summer Theater for the summer months.

Joey H said...

The biggest omission from your list for me is Penn and Teller.