Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Nicest Thing To Happen In A While

On my flight to Florida last week, I was seated on the aisle across from a mom and her young son and daughter. The boy was about 2, the girl was maybe 6. He sat on the aisle, the little girl was on the window and the mom was in the middle. As I made a return to my seat from the toilet, the little boy dropped his little toy, a miniature of Sully from Monsters Inc. I picked it up and gave it back to him.

About five minutes later, the little boy tapped me on the shoulder and handed me a folded piece of notebook paper. I opened it and found this:


I was confused, so I looked over at the mother.

"This morning, my daughter was drawing pictures at the kitchen table and she took this one and folded it up and gave it to me," the mother explained. "I asked her what she wanted me to do with it, and she said, 'Put it in your purse and we'll give it to someone when they do something nice for us.' "

All together now: Awwwww! I now carry this picture in my bag. Whenever I look at it, I smile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! I used to be a teacher at one time and a day care worker, and I always saved the drawings kids made for me. It means a lot to the kids when they make those artworks for adults. Congratulations on being a Sully-saver.

Anonymous said...

I have found after 49 years that - you never know how what you do can touch someone. Sometimes the simplest thing is all a person needs to brighten their day or make them feel good. That is a neat little story. It also shows what kind of guy you are Steve. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous above. I'm 48, have learned the same lesson. Love that you reminded us again, that it truly is the little things that make us smile, will continue to make us smile when we remember them and we should remember to do the same to others. Our communities, state and nation would really benefit from more Acts of Random Kindess (from Evan Almighty, the best movie!) Thanks for sharing.